Sunday 26 June 2016

Love Wins

So as I woke up on Friday morning, I could hardly believe what I was reading. Britain had decided to leave the EU. I was feeling angry, betrayed, and let down by a government which I didn't vote for, and a result I didn't want. I cried and cried all the way to work, and then spent my morning dealing with young people who were heartbroken because they were scared of what will happen next, worried they would be deported, and simply devastated that the UK might not help people who need it from other countries. 

Without wanting to turn this into a strongly political blog (although those who know me will be well aware of my string viewpoints!), I simply could not believe that we as a country had allowed this to happen - scaremongering tactics being used which have made children feel unsafe. As a professional who works with young people, I am devastated by the effect that the political discourse has had on our young people. It is simply not right for them to feel scared in their own country for fear of deportation. The United Nations convention on the rights of the child states such that children have a right to be protected from discrimination, a right to their identity, and a right to have their views taken seriously if a decision affects them (as a side point, at what age should a young person therefore vote?). 

I travelled to London on Saturday, and as I walked past Westminster I was deeply saddened, wondering if they knew the hurt that some of our young people are feeling. What saddens me more is that I can offer no words of comfort to them about their futures, about whether they will need visas or citizenship, because I simply do not know the answers, and I don't think anyone does. 

However, later in the day I was privileged to be able to be a part of the parade at Pride. I can honestly say my faith in humanity was somewhat restored by this event - yes there were protesters however a small minority in a sea of people. Yesterday, London came together to show unity, equality, and respect. For me, Pride is about showing the world what a great diverse nation we are, and that we respect and support each other's differences. I stood alongside friends who I knew had personally battled with their sexuality or gender, for fear of repercussion. It should not be the case that anyone fears being themself for any reason. I am extremely proud of my friends who have the courage to be themselves in a world that can be brutal. 

In a world where Brexit has divided the country, and a small marginalised group of people have hijacked the leave campaign and had the dominant discourse around "kicking people out of the country" - let's remember that the majority of people in the UK are tolerant, supportive, and decent humans. Let's not let those narrow minded people cause our future generation to feel scared and unsafe - let's remind the young people that we work with that one of the greatest human emotions is love, and let's teach that to those we come into contact with. Yes some people are unhappy with the outcome of the referendum, I sure enough am gutted. However, what's important is that we do not let this ruin our communities, it is our duty to ensure that young people feel safe no matter what their beliefs, culture, or sexuality. It's important that we teach them that Love Wins, and in doing so we create a positive culture for the future, with more accepting and diverse communities than ever before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment